Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Thankful for Eddy

My mind started rolling the other day and I kept getting annoyed and then thankful...annoyed...and then thankful. So, what got me started was when the pest control guy came over to pay us a special visit because after 2 treatments since May, we still have spiders and silverfish roaming around the house, and both Nicolas and Alex have been bitten by spiders. So, anyway, the guy was a young, fresh Hispanic dude who exuded machismo. He introduced himself, and after seeing both my boys, he said, "oh I have a 2 week old." So, I proceeded to say, "oh you must be really tired," to which he responded, "nah, girl, I gotta work. My wife gets up." That's when everything started for me. Initially, I was annoyed with the idea. I would have never been able to make it through my first few weeks at home if Eddy didn't get up to help at least with changing diapers and then handing the boys to me to feed mostly due to my c-section recovery, but also due to the infection I had with Alex, the raging hormones of course, and having to deal with a crazy toddler (who gave up nap time at the same time of his brother's birth) after Nico was born.

I can't imagine what my life would be like if I didn't have the support I had from Eddy following the births of both of our sons and now our lives as a family. After Alex, I was in grad school and suffered with a lot of postpartum anxiety that wouldn't allow me to sleep and made me a very cranky mother. So, Eddy took most nightly duties waking up with Alex. We were fortunate that Alex slept through the night by 2 months occasionally and permanently by 3 months. With Nicolas, I didn't have any problems with anxiety (probably because I already knew what to expect) but Eddy still helped me with middle of the night feedings like a trooper.

So, after being annoyed with the obnoxious pest control guy all day, I decided to change my perspective and realize how lucky I am to have my hubs and even feel a little sympathy for him that he married a crazy, obsessive-compulsive person like me. We both have our fair share of compulsive behaviors but after 6 1/2 years married, we've come to embrace one another's quirks and still love each other more and more every day. :)

Our lives are filled with sacrificing of sleep, food (not because we can't afford it thankfully but because someone is always calling for one of us during meal time,) and alone time but we make it a point to try and make time for ourselves as a couple and alone time which is usually in the form of working out in the a.m. before both boys wake up. Ahhh, the joys of parenting! Did I mention how much the hubs rocks!?

No comments: