Saturday, July 3, 2010

Complete

Nicolás has been home for a week and 2 days now, and we are having a great time adjusting to our newfound family dynamic. Grandma Mary left this morning so now the true test of Alex's adjustment begins. We've all had the luxury of having grandma to distract Alex when Nicolas requires attention from both Eddy and me (which isn't very often thank goodness). Alex fully understands that Mommy must take care of Nicolas but he is having some jealousy issues when Eddy is handling Nicolas. He is too funny! Overall, I'd say that he's adjusting very well and hopefully will continue to do so.

Nicolas came home from the hospital with jaundice but his bilirubin levels were never high enough to warrant phototherapy. Apparently, the jaundice has caused him to be very sleepy which has resulted in him not eating very vigorously. This has in turn has affected my milk supply. We had to rent a hospital grade pump so that I can pump as much as possible in addition to supplementing with formula because his weight gain has been very limited. We're hoping that he will be back to birth weight by his 2 week appt next Wednesday. I have hope because he is eating a lot more now that he is not having to feed for 30 minutes and only getting an ounce. I am very grateful for the lactation center for helping us...they are AMAZING!

Otherwise, this little guy is such a calm and sweet baby. He sleeps like a dream. Last night, he went 3 hours and then 4 1/2 hours between feeding sessions so I feel very rested. The Lord really knew what he was doing when he blessed us with Nicolas. We have a very spunky and vibrant 2 1/2 year old and now a calm, easy-going baby...I couldn't be happier.

Before having Nicolas, I kept telling Eddy that I wanted to try for at least one more, but at this point, I would be happy if we decided to just have 2. Having children is a huge task! It is emotionally fulfilling and exhausting at the same time. We'll see in a few years if we can handle another but as far as I'm concerned, I feel complete. A 3rd addition would just be sprinkles on the cupcake. :-) I love my boys!

No comments: