Sunday, June 27, 2010

We are home and managing :-)

So, Nicolas was born as scheduled on Tuesday, June 22nd at 8:54 a.m. and weighed in at 6 lbs, 14 oz. and 18 1/2 inches long. He is certainly smaller than Alex was (8 lbs, 4 oz and 20.5 inches long) but he is just as beautiful and precious.  The whole labor experience was not as eventful as with Alex but it was certainly still as nerve-racking.  Something about knowingly going into a situation where pain is imminent can be a very scary thing. I couldn't sleep the night before and was worried to death about Alex, who developed a sinus infection from all of the dust as a result of having our carpet ripped out the previous Friday. He and Eddy were up all night as he had a coughing every 30 minutes or so. We had already taken him to the doctor so his meds were in place. Eddy was a nervous wreck though for our entire stay at the hospital.

We got to the hospital at 6 a.m. The surgery was relatively quick (30 minutes or so) and the nurses and nurse anesthetist were amazing! Apparently, my ob/gyn has a reputation for being tough so they certainly didn't want to let her down. They were all awesome about making sure that none of the meds contained the additive I'm allergic to. They were literally on the phone with the pharmacy for the entire 2 hours before my surgery. I am very grateful for the meds they were able to get for me because my pain at the hospital was very manageable. The entire hospital stay was a good one.  

We were released from the hospital on Thursday the 24th so we've spent 3 nights with our new little man so far. He is a dream baby. He gives me at least 2 hours between feedings at night and has given us a 3 to 4 hour stretch of sleep at night as long as he is in the bed next to me. Only people with children can understand the true awesomeness of that especially given that he falls asleep as soon as he is finished eating so my sleep is really easy to get back into.

Eddy's mom is still staying with us and we had planned on her helping me out with the baby while Eddy tended to Alex. What it's actually turned out to be is that she is helping Eddy with Alex as I tend to Nicolas. It's pretty hilarious because Alex is still higher maintenance than an infant. We're very fortunate that my recovery has been a lot more manageable than with Alex so I've been able to do more with the baby. Alex is absolutely sweet about me being with Nicolas but he tends to get very jealous if Eddy has to give him any attention. I can certainly see a divided house in our future. :-)

In the meantime, check out the pic of Alex's reaction to his new baby brother.

No comments: