Thursday, March 3, 2011

Alicia Renee, the helmet, and more

My sister in law, Marissa, was induced this morning, so I'm really excited about getting to meet my sweet niece, Alicia Renee. Alicia is going to get annoyed by her Tia always wanting to hang out with her but I'm hopeful that I will be to her what my Tia Lupita and my Tia Linda were to me: 2nd mothers who loved me just like a child of their own while I was growing up. I have so many wonderful aunts and uncles whom I love dearly. xoxoxo

As for the helmet, we visited the neurosurgeon today for our 6 weeks post helmet initiation. I keep getting confused every time we go because we allegedly have an appointment with one of the neurosurgeons and the other one sees us...it's very strange. Either way, we ended up seeing Dr. Gennuso today as opposed to Dr. Megahed, and that's always nice because Gennuso is a very concrete and quantitative kind of gal (almost Asperger's-eque.) I appreciate quantitative data. Dr. Megahed is pretty awesome too but he's more of a qualitative guy that relies more on his eye than numbers. Either way, they're both great physicians.

Anyway, Gennuso thinks after seeing Nicolas' head that he might be in the helmet another 2 months, maybe 2 1/2 months at most but again at the end of the day, it all depends on how quickly Nicolas' head grows which is when it reshapes.We have an appointment next Wednesday with Hanger (Mr. Robert) and we were instructed to get the #s related to Nicolas' head progress to give Dr. Gennuso next time we see her. I'm hopeful that maybe she's overestimating the time since she didn't have the #s in front of her. We're ready to give the little guy's head a break from this heat but Dr. Gennuso said today, "we might as well try and get it as close to perfect as we can since we've already gone this long." Point taken and I definitely agree.  I also worry that once we take the helmet off, if there's still some more growth, the head could get flat again since he sleeps on his back a lot of the time. So, that's that. I'll get more info on #s next week when we see Mr. Robert.

My weight loss is coming along wonderfully. I'm now between 130 and 131 which is close to around where I was before Nicolas although my abs still feel pretty beaten up from this 2nd c-section. I apparently had a lot of scar tissue so the healing was slower this time around which is why it was harder to workout my abs early in my recovery. I'm working on it, and they keep getting stronger every day and probably a lot stronger than I give myself credit for. I was doing back bends with Alex on my stomach yesterday without any difficulty. That's one of his new favorite games. :) I cannot sing the praises of Weight Watchers enough. I've managed to lose weight and still eat what I want including pizza twice a week...and TACOS! :) I still eat pan dulce too. Now, my problem with the weight loss I've had is dealing with anemia. I apparently lost too much weight (percentage wise) so my anemia starting flaring up. I went back to my old dose of iron and I'm feeling better. WOOHOO! For the record, I haven't lose more than 1-2 lbs a week but apparently given my previous weight, I should've lost a bit more slowly. I dunno. If you guys seriously have any questions about Weight Watchers, don't be afraid to ask. I'm totally an advocate now and if you hate diets, it's totally for you.

No comments: