Monday, September 29, 2008

Momma's Boy

Oh my goodness! I never thought I'd see the day...my son has turned into a momma's boy. People said that sons and mothers have a special bond, but since the day he was born, he has treated Eddy and me equally with love and affection. We're not sure if it's because I'm with him all day taking care of him or if it's just "that" bond parents of boys tell us all about. Who knows!? But I'm eating it up!

As he becomes more mobile, he has the opportunity to distance himself from me as much as he chooses (or as much as I'm willing to let him). He seems to think that when it's time to put on his pants, he needs to crawl away from me as fast as humanly possible all while cracking up. BUT, nothing melts my heart more when we're hanging out in our big living room and the only place he wants to be is in mommy's arms.

I absolutely love praising my son and giving him all the affection I can. However, I will not become that mother who tells his son that he is a king all so that he can never be satisfied by another woman again (Oedipus, much?!) I will however, hopefully, raise my little man to be a confident young man who respects his momma and other women...

I want him to have "cojones" so that he can stand up for himself, but I don't want him being a machista either. Too bad there wasn't a Hispanic Freud...to dissect the human psyche of Hispanics.

No comments: